Thread: Cartoon Network & Six Flags: What licensing terms?

Cartoon Network & Six Flags: What licensing terms?

I've seen Six Flags pay for the rights of the DC Comics characters since Time Warner sold off Six Flags to Premier and we've gone through the different owners. They continue to have the Looney Tunes, Batman, Green Lantern, etc, etc in the park. In the meantime there has been a continued used of Cartoon Network/Hanna Barbara characters in the chain. It's particularly noticeable at Six Flags Great America. There's a Space Sprockets rollercoaster and Scooby Doo characters that appear there. Are those characters under the Time Warner umbrella that Six Flags pays rights for or are they another entity? Will all the adds and slashing of themes over the years I'm surprised Six Flags still uses these characters. I always thought it was just the Looney Tunes and superheroes they've used.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    Cartoon Network is part of TIme Warner, and Hanna Barbera was purchased by Turner Broadcasting in the 90's, which Turner itself was purchased by Time Warner. DC Comics (where the superheroes come from) is also a subsidiary of Timer Warner.

Six Flags was also owned by Time Warner. I'm sure there was some sort of provision back when TW sold to Premier, and has stuck/been renewed since.

Explains a lot, doesn't it?
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Magnum

The licensing doesn't seem balanced for the Hanna Barbera between parks. SFGAM has a whole lot more than SFGADV. There is a Scooby Doo dark ride at SFFT. There is so much less than the Looney Tunes that the characters seem exiled.
    Last edited by Leo C; 08-16-2012 at 01:30 AM.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

Teh Band
    Six Flags has only uses the rights to Scooby Doo,Flintstones and Dextors lab

Scooby Doo, Flintstones and Dexter's Lab should have gone in the place of Wiggles World. I don't think it would step too much on the Looney Tunes.

Teh Band
    Wiggles was not a good theme to any Six Flags park that added it. They should start using more Cartoonetwork themes

^Speaking of Cartoon Network, Six Flags should get the rights to use Pokemon, Ben 10, and/or Adventure time. Can you imagine a Pokemon or a Ben 10 themed attraction at a Six Flags park?

Maybe at SFGAM where they may reorganize and make one large kids area. Those can be potential add on themes. We've seen the Ben 10 Vekoma Jr boomerang debut over seas. As i said before I saw a rather poor representation of Scooby and company at SFGADV but a rather good one at SFGAM currently.

Teh Band
    SFGA still has camp Cartoon and I was watching a construction video on Iron Wolf's last day and the person was on the train and it said over the speaker we are now passing camp cartoon home to all of your favorite Cartoonnetwork Charecters.

No kidding. They've had the Spacely Sprockets coaster for years.

Teh Band
    Oddley enought Cedar Fair has the rights to some Hanna-Barrbera stuff

^ Cedar Fair dumped the Hanna-Barrbera cartoons when they bought out the Paramount parks. The only characters that Cedar Fair uses is the Peanut comic strip characters.
    Last edited by Pikapower; 09-28-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Teh Band
    Yes but they did not dump it until 2009. They have the rights until 2017

^ Cedar Fair dumped the Nickelodeon characters in 2009, they've decied to dump the H-B characters in 2007 and replaced them with the Snoopy and the Peanuts gang!

Teh Band
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikapower View Post
    ^ Cedar Fair dumped the Nickelodeon characters in 2009, they've decied to dump the H-B characters in 2007 and replaced them with the Snoopy and the Peanuts gang!
    I have been on other sites were Dairen Lake fans have said that. Look at a PTR on *** for CGA and you will see an H-B section of the park

Six Flags should have replaced the Wiggles Worlds with a Hanna Barbera/Cartoon Network theme kiddie area in the parks that had Wiggles World kiddie areas!

Teh Band
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikapower View Post
    Six Flags should have replaced the Wiggles Worlds with a Hanna Barbera/Cartoon Network theme kiddie area in the parks that had Wiggles World kiddie areas!
    That is a good idea I have to agree with you on that. Plus Wiggles was not a good theme to have at the Six Flags parks.

^Six Flags should have resurrected the "Happy World of Hanna-Barbera" as a replacement for Wiggles World instead of Kidzopolis!

Teh Band
    ^Hanna-Barbera world's of Avdenture. They should also do that with wistle top park

Six Flags should have rename/theme the Tony Hawk coasters as "Scooby-Doo's Roller Ghoster" and replace the skateboard themed cars with ghost themed cars !

Ultra Poster
    SFI has under used the brands under Hannah Barbara and cartoon network. But like pointed out what they do have was a package deal that allowed then a few franchises for attraction and characters. Primarily this was Scooby Doo and company I did see the Dexters lab show at SFOG. It was OK nothing amazing. Thing is simply because SFI has connections with DC and Time warner/Looney Tunes doesn't mean they have an open door to every character. Time warner/Cartoon Network is also WB Animation. If they want more characters they need more contracts and pay out more money.

Wiggles - It simply didn't work as a themed area but. At the tie the Wiggles are and to a point still are much more popular then most Hannah Barbara characters and older Cartoon Network stuff. The problem came when just after the areas were announced one of the band members left the replacement was sub par and Disney dropped then from the line up for their own Imagination Movers. So the popularity quickly dropped. Many of the areas weren't really thought out and were sub par to the Wiggles world it was ripping off.

Thomas towns were simply a Dropped ball from management. The theme was a great choice. They had so many more options for characters then they used. The areas were also mostly half done and she horn additions rather ten real Kiddie/family areas. But the Thomas character is more then 40 years old and still going strong. It will like Disney and Looney Tunes continue to go strong for many years. which is more then I can expect from Harry potter and many other Characters Universal uses.
    Michael C
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Canobie Lake Park Salom NH | Wooden Roller Coaster: Yankie Canonball Canobie lake park Salom NH | Steel Roller Coaster: Ming Bender SFOG

Well on the flip side of Six Flags' relationship with Cartoon Network/Hanna-Barbera if I where the head of SFI I would simply dump the Cartoon Network/Hanna-Barbera characters and just keep the Looney Tunes (I.E. Bugs Bunny, etc.) and DC Comics!

Teh Band
    Mostly SFOG,SFFT and SFGA pay more to use the rights those rights

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA061469.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	20710
    I saw this ad at SFA. It's more than what I've seen at SFGADV.

Teh Band
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo C View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA061469.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	20710
    I saw this ad at SFA. It's more than what I've seen at SFGADV.
    I saw that on Great Adventure history probally because it was onced owned by Time Warner and that is what Cartoonnetwork is under

^ Hmm could this mean Six Flags is going to put more CN characters in their parks (yeah right!) or what?