Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kings Dominion 2013

Kings Dominion 2013

Kings Dominion has started a tease on their main page.

Break records...AGAIN! Join us September 12th.
    SpeedZone Staffer
    *2012 Draft 3rd Place!
    Creation List: Indecisive - Timber Wolf: The Hunt - Rewind - Omega - Forbidden Forest Ride - unknown
    Tutorials: Current: B&M Floorless/Sit-Down inverting
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Skyrocket

Is it a Guiness World Records attempt event rather than a new attraction?
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

You tell me...

A new simulator film?
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

In a plane, on a rollercoaster near a storm.
    Just coverage of the latest rumors

1) Planet Snoopy Expansion-Rumors have been around from people who have claimed to see company employees wandering around the Planet Snoopy area with blueprints. Thoughts are that the "Earth" that is visible in the background of the teaser teases that the "Planet" has something to do with it. The "record breaking" falls into two different schools of thought under the expansion.
    -The expansion would make it the Worlds LARGEST Kids Area.
    -The expansion includes a launched kiddie coaster, which will give the park the "most launched coasters" (which the park held prior to the removal of Hypersonic XLC). So this would be a record broken.....again. In addition, the rocket could "hint" towards a launch.

2) Volcano is supposed to undergo its refurbishment soon. Considering Six Flags announces their announcements on August 30th and Magic Mountain is expected to announce the "Worlds Tallest Inversion" on their new launched "Full Throttle" Rollercoaster (a record presently held by Volcano), many think that the new announcement will involve an extension of the Volcano ride, including making the inversion even taller to steal the record back. The announcement is quite late for the amusement industry (of course Top Thrill Dragster was announced very late too), and this could be somewhat plausible as its "breaking a record...again".

3) A brand new launched coaster to hold the "Launch Coaster" record. Many seem to think that this new coaster could break height & speed records. Of course, this is one of the most unlikely of cases.

4). A simulator film that breaks records? haha

I think the most plausible would be either number 2 or this:

They speed up the lift hill on I305. Wasn't that the fastest lift hill at one point? Make it 20mph and it will look like a rocket taking off into space
    SpeedZone Staffer
    *2012 Draft 3rd Place!
    Creation List: Indecisive - Timber Wolf: The Hunt - Rewind - Omega - Forbidden Forest Ride - unknown
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Skyrocket

An announcement on my birthday! It better not be a disappointment.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Teh Band
    I say a Premier launch coaster

Why not just launch the stupid train off the top of the lift on 305 and put it out of its misery already.
    Intimidator Ride Count - 313

Proud Mem**r of the 200 Club! - Current Count - 203

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

I would love to see Volcano get renovated and potentially expanded. It's alre ady a fantastic ride without needing to have any gimmicks or hyped marketing, unlike most Six Flags rides... I haven't been in years so I've never been on I305 but from what I've heard and read on here it's been riddled with issues since day one. Maybe someone jumped the gun on that design? Anyway, hopefully whatever their announcement is will be exciting and enough to motivate me to get up there again.

I kind of like Six Flags policy now of releasing all park expansions on the same day.

I mean it's obvious Carowinds is probably getting the silly dinos, so really no need for some major media event for that. Just do them all at once and have the press at the major ones only.

Coaster Draft 2014 Selections - Nitro - Balder - Thunderhead - Montu - X2 - Lightning Run - X-Flight - Kumba - Manta - Verbolten
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: #1- Nitro #2- Intimidator

Full Throttle will continue its record regardless. Its record is the world's tallest vertical loop, which it is taking away from Superman: Krypton coaster at Fiesta Texas. Cedar Point will be taking the crown with the world's tallest inversion at 170' with GateKeeper, something that Cedar Point has acknowledged. Until Gatekeeper is built, Volcano's record remains intact. I doubt that they'd want to steal glory from Cedar Point. I would love to see a Volcano expansion though, but my guess is that they are adding another launched coaster.
    ThrillNetwork Database Editor

"I won't stop riding roller coasters when I get old. I'll get old when I stop riding roller coasters" -Unknown
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World / Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

It's not even a big loss if Cedar Point will roll with this tallest inversion. It's just a 180 twist on Gatekeeper, baloney. They hardly have to retract with Full Throttle when they'll say it's the tallest loop.

Could a new family coaster be a Vekoma Jr. Boomerang? The Ben-10 Jr. Boomerang has a cone or rocket shape prop at the end of the one tower.
    Last edited by Leo C; 08-31-2012 at 01:53 AM.

It doesn't matter if the record doesn't mean anything to you. Records are records, and so far the world has kept 2 separate records for inversion height: tallest vertical loop, and tallest (or highest) inversion. If they built a zero-g roll at 350 feet in the air, Full Throttle would still get to keep its record. The only time when it would ever conflict is if the worlds tallest vertical loop is also the worlds tallest inversion. I'm not saying that there is no way that Volcano would be renovated and take the tallest inversion record back, but I find it a little unlikely. Or, they'll try to merge the two records I mentioned together saying it's the tallest loop and try to debunk Full Throttle, which would be a pretty spiteful approach.

Anyhoo... I kinda doubt they'd put in a Vekoma Jr. Boomerang. What record would it break?
    ThrillNetwork Database Editor

"I won't stop riding roller coasters when I get old. I'll get old when I stop riding roller coasters" -Unknown
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World / Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Millennium Force

From what I've heard, the addition won't be a coaster.

We shall see next month. I don't think they'd be hyping something like this unless it was a major thrill ride or coaster.

Another launch would be cool, but I wish they'd get another people eater instead of these slow movers like they already have.

I'd like to see them scrap Anaconda and reuse its tunnel for a new coaster.

Teh Band
    Anaconda is the most ride to get a picture in one day and it is the first coaster to go under water it is not going. Then if it is not a coaster then it has got to be a thrill ride it would not be an S&S shot tower because they have a drop tower already. Probally a space 4-D motion simulator would be the fit

It could still be an S&S Shot Tower. Who cares if they already have a Drop Tower. Cedar Point housed both Power Tower AND Demon Drop til Demon Drop got moved. There is a park oversees with 3 different tower rides, and they are all popular. So just cause a park has one type of Tower Ride, it immediately negates that park housing a different style tower ride.

The more I think on it, I can definitely see it being a Trio of Launch Towers of some kind. Maybe a Quintuplet Launch pad with all towers going above 300 feet? What IS the record height anyway for a launch tower?
    SpeedZone Staffer
    *2012 Draft 3rd Place!

Dorney Park is a dual freefall ride park. That's a good guess that it may even be that. Don't leave any stone unturned.

Teh Band
    It would make no scence what so ever to add another drop tower. They have one and the ride time would be the same as Drop Tower

Cedar Fair put Demon Drop at DP when the modern S&S Tower Dominator, the original Dominator, was already there. I never rode Demon Drop in my 3 visits to Cedar Point. When I finally rode it for the first time at Dorney I realized I didn't miss the Stuntman's Freefall at SFGADV.

Teh Band
    Cedar Fair had no other choice to put it there. They did not have enough room at Knott's Berry Farm. So they just put it at Dorney. I think they should have sent it to Michigan's Adventure and from since all of my vistits to Cedar Point I rode it

It could have been in a scrap yard and on the line to make a couple new Ford trucks instead.

hawkman, please try to actually make sense when you respond ><

Mr Hydes Nasty Fall got the scrap yard treatment that Demon Drop more than likely would have received. It was more than likely a better addition at Dorney, as Dorney is a larger theme park and pulls in a higher crowd.
    SpeedZone Staffer
    *2012 Draft 3rd Place!

hawkman, we've already asked nicely for you to watch your spelling and your posts in general.

Slow down when you post, and please reread before you post.

It has already been shown that other parks have more than one type of drop tower, so it isn't impossible for that to be a possibility.

Teh Band
    S&S drop towers count as one tower not 4 in Cedar Point's case or 3 in Knott's,Dorney,Worlds of Fun and Valley's cases. I say a Permier launch coaster

^WHAT?? Yes, it's one "tower" but why do you think S&S calls them "Tower Complexes" or "Tower Combos"? Because there is MORE THAN ONE RIDE on each "leg" of the "tower". You get different experiences on each. Is it the same going up as it is going down? How about the views?

It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

I am underwhelmed leading up to this. This was my climate before we were just taken by surprise, hit by the side with Intimidator 305. Hypersonic XXL to come. LOL

I don't see any U.S. park including Kings Dominion getting a second drop tower unless there was a huge different in their operation. I could see a park getting an S&S Space Shot if they have one of the Intamin drop towers or similar variety. I don't see the point in adding the Turbo Drop variety though since they are far too similar and money would be better spent elsewhere. Comparing the Intamin first generation drop rides like Demon Drop at Cedar Point and then getting Power Tower isn't the best example. Those drop rides are extremely different and in the U.S, there have only been a few instances where a park had both of those. Comparing overseas parks isn't relative either since some of the stuff and theming they do is...uhh...different.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

But parks in America still have both Drop Towers and Shot Towers made by different manufacturers. It isn't as uncommon of an occurrence as what most of you think.

You can compare this to having two different styles of launch coasters, mega coasters, inverted coasters, looping coasters. You are essentially just repeating what you already have, but they each offer a different styled ride than what was previously available to those patrons. Using Cedar Point:

Why get Millennium Force when they have Magnum XL200
    Why get Wicked Twister when they have Raptor
    Why get Gate Keeper when they already have Raptor and Mantis
    Why get Raptor when they already had Iron Dragon
    Why get Mean Streak when they have Blue Streak
    Why build Gemini when you have Cedar Creek Mine Ride

I can honestly go on and on with this, and if need be I will for damn near every park that has similar type rides. So long as it offers a different experience than what is found inside the park, it is a likely candidate within reason (going off of clues and whatever leaks may appear online).
    SpeedZone Staffer
    *2012 Draft 3rd Place!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast