Thread: Article: Silver Dollar City announces Outlaw Run

Article: Silver Dollar City announces Outlaw Run

Small but important typo. Most of enthusiasts will know what you meant but you typed "Also is listed as the second fastest coaster in the world". We know it was meant to say "...second 'fastest' wooden coaster..."

Hard to believe that 12 years ago, Son of Beast opened with a single loop and was the only wooden coaster with an inversion and the first of the modern era of coasters. The Son of Beast went on to be known as a huge mistake and no other park dared to get a wooden coaster with an inversion. Now we will have another park take a chance and not a small one at that and feature three inversions! Wow.

The overbank is the controversial inversion. I'd like to see this double down. Now we got a really good idea of what the double inlines are all about. Inverting on a wooden coaster!?

We've learned from Son of Beast and El Toro that there is a certain range of height and speed where the traditional wooden coaster technology is no longer comfortable and that it's time to go to a special new track.

A nice deal for $10 million rather than $25 mil for Skyrush.
    Last edited by Leo C; 08-09-2012 at 12:28 PM.

I'm the good looking one Steven's Avatar
    I tightened up the story as much as I could.

Another fact sheet I saw on this coaster referred to the element in question as a "reverse over-banked turn." I think the three inversion thing is mainly for hype. REGARDLESS.... we will have a Woodie with a least 2 inversions and THAT is something to get PUMPED about.

I don't know, I'm just not sold on it. This is again pushing the envelope on what wooden coasters are 'supposed' to do. But then again SOB really didn't help much either when trying to compare. It appears that the inversions are made totally of wood too. That would be a first. I wonder how well that will hold up over the years. I'll try to make it out to SDC within the next two years to try this out and I truly do hope that I eat my words and it turns out to be a great ride.

My other main concern other than it possibly being rough is the length of this coaster. I mentioned it on the Facebook page but at a little under 3,000 feet of track and with a top speed of 68mph, this will be a short ride. From the drop to the brakes might only be 30-35 seconds. Even most shorter steel coasters run for 40-45 seconds. I wonder if there will be trim brake or MCBR before the barrel rolls. There hasn't been an animated POV released yet, right?

EDIT- Nevermind about the MCBR. I even thought about it as I wrote it that there was the layout picture but it might be possible for a trim or two. I don't think the train will be traveling that fast through the barrel rolls. Being that the coaster is short, it won't have burned off much speed and could hit those rolls at over 50mph unless it's trimmed or the rolls are highly elevated but they look like they're fairly low to the ground.
    Last edited by coasterlove; 08-09-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Be sure to check out the photo album I just uploaded on ThrillNetwork's facebook page! The hardhat tour SDC took us on really let us see the way the coaster uses the terrain. The ONLY thing I see that I am slightly disappointed in is the length. BUT, I think Outlaw Run will be too awesome to quibble over how long it lasts! As they say, leave them wanting more!

MidwestInfoGuide Chief Editor
    Speaking of that hard hat tour - here are some more photos.
    http://midwestinfoguide.com/silver/outlawrun/08.09.12/

My trip is booked!

Quote Originally Posted by coasterlove View Post
    My other main concern other than it possibly being rough is the length of this coaster. I mentioned it on the Facebook page but at a little under 3,000 feet of track and with a top speed of 68mph, this will be a short ride. From the drop to the brakes might only be 30-35 seconds. Even most shorter steel coasters run for 40-45 seconds. I wonder if there will be trim brake or MCBR before the barrel rolls. There hasn't been an animated POV released yet, right?

EDIT- Nevermind about the MCBR. I even thought about it as I wrote it that there was the layout picture but it might be possible for a trim or two. I don't think the train will be traveling that fast through the barrel rolls. Being that the coaster is short, it won't have burned off much speed and could hit those rolls at over 50mph unless it's trimmed or the rolls are highly elevated but they look like they're fairly low to the ground.
    It's a good thing Cedar Point isn't doing this ride or it would have trims all over it!

I don't think any park trims a coaster for no reason despite what people may say. Mean Streak was trimmed probably because it was rough and maybe damaging the structure, I don't know. Mantis has a trim on it's drop I'm guessing because it was considered too high on G's for a standup? Either way, I doubt Cedar Point just did it for the hell of it. Six Flags Great America has a trim very early on Raging Bull near the top of it's first hill after the turnaround. It's disappointing but just as Cedar Point, I'm sure they had their reasons.

And back to your comment, only the two coasters I mentioned have trims that I can think of so I don't see how they have a reputation for it. The trims were because of bad designs most likely. Millennium Force which is still their marquee coaster doesn't have or use any trims after 12 years and counting now.

Raptor and Magnum have trims and they use them. Not all the time, but they do. Most of the time those trims are more for block braking anyway.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I just don't remember them or where they're at? On Raptor, I can only remember the MCBR shortly after the cobra roll. I know on Magnum, there is some sort of brake in one of the tunnels but I also thought that was some sort of MCBR or like you said, for block braking. The trims I'm talking about are purely for reducing speed to accomodate the elements and usually done after the ride opens because some of the forces, speed, etc isn't exactly as planned or the ride turned out to be more forceful than they thought. Kind of like what happened with Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion or Maverick at Cedar Point removing the roll or whatever that element was just before the coaster was set to open.

Oh maybe I am thinking of Raptor's mid-course either firing or not firing. Magnums trims are right back near the pretzel turnaround.

Oh, I did think of another trim at Cedar Point but it's so far at the end of the ride, it doesn't even matter. On Gemini towards the end just before the final helix on both sides. Sorry to take this so far off topic.
    YOUR HATRED AMUSES ME
    Favorites: Amusement Park: 1. Cedar Point 2. SFGAm 3. Kings Island | Wooden Roller Coaster: 1. The Voyage 2. Viper 3. The Boss 4. Shivering Timbers | Steel Roller Coaster: 1. Millennium Force 2. Top Thrill Dragster 3. Maverick 4. Raging Bull 5. Raptor

As excited as I am to see how this ride goes I still have doubts. I feel like it's a lot of firsts for one coaster and surely is a bit of risky development. Let's hope that we're truly witnessing a new era of woodies that can better compete against their steel cousins, both in design and rideability.

I agree with you koasterkid. This is now 100% RMC not the 50% we saw with RMC renovating The Texas Giant with most of the canvas already there.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

You know - the loop on Son of Beast was not the problem. Nor were the original trains. It was the jackhammer ride on the rails that no one enjoyed. This new Outlaw Run is not being built by RCCA (seems that all of their contraptions have that jackhammer ride) so I would think that this will be problem free.

Seriously?! An inverted wooden coaster?! Nothing good could come of this.

Coug, I share your 'enthusiasm' on this one too. At 68 MPH on an all wooden coaster, I just wonder how this will survive over the years. Sure the ride will be going slower in the inversions, but not much slower. I really do hope I eat my words, but this is pushing every boundary out there.