Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: FireChaser Express 2014

Minetrain Poster RollTideDriver's Avatar

FireChaser Express 2014

Went to Dollywood for the opening of the new season to the general public today. It was really a cloudy and cold day so the crowds were low. Mystery Mine was down, I was in the second car out for the day and it was the last that they allowed out. For the most part the park seemed to be in great shape and ready to go. The big news is that Adventure Mountain is being torn down and on the fence surrounding the site was this. I'm personally thinking new coaster along the lines of Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City.

I'd be amazed if they could pull off a Cars'esque Radiator Springs Racer type ride. Utilizing Jeep like carriages to explore the mountains and go off-roading possibly involving dark ride sections and why not a moonshine still that explodes and you outrun the blast. I'd say that would however be too budget exhaustive so more likely I'll go with RMC's or GG's first launched woody/kinda woody.

That would be incredible. To bad Dollywood's budget isn't quite Disneyesque. I didn't think of the possibility of a launched woody. I had been hoping they would remove Blazing Fury, as I feel it has really become dated, and replace it with something in the launched realm. Still think it will be something from RMC solely because of the ownership.

There's nothing on RCDB - if it were to be a coaster.

I have moved this to construction and rumors thread because there hasn't been a single piece of concrete information to elude to this being a new roller coaster and so far with just a sign it is construction but don't know of what. So it is fitting for construction and rumors only right now.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Adventure Mountain was the least used attraction or something? Too much maintenance? They did have to pay a lot of people to stand around on those platforms and basically smile at you. Obviously it's in keeping with the mining theme... with it being a BLAST and all. Water related perhaps?
    Last edited by Coug; 03-24-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Launch Tower lol.

But the whole "BLAST" could refer to a multitude of rides, and just cause Herschend did and RMC at SDC, doesn't always necessitate another at their other park. Cedar Fair, a company with FAR more money than Herschend, took 9 years to place a 2nd Giga Coaster in one of their parks, followed by a 3rd only 3 years later. Rarely will a park put in a second ride type just a year after one another as you need the proper period for all the kinks to be found and worked around. With RMC, and how they openly have said how they will only build their coasters "to the extreme", means that it may just be 2-4 years til we see another one built stateside. We have no clue how their wooden coaster will weather a heavy workload (can't go off the Iron Horse treatment) and you don't know what all kind of stress their trains will run into.

Even Six Flags waited a couple years before doing Iron Rattler.
    SpeedZone Staffer
    *2012 Draft 3rd Place!
    Creation List: Indecisive - Timber Wolf: The Hunt - Rewind - Omega - Forbidden Forest Ride - unknown
    Tutorials: Current: B&M Floorless/Sit-Down inverting
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Skyrocket

Well said and I agree. Not to mention that Dollywood doesn't exactly put new coasters in their park one year after another. Thunderhead and Mystery Mine was the closest they ever done before. And with a $17 million price tag on a mediocre coaster (Mystery Mine) and $20 million on a fun coaster (Wild Eagle), I highly doubt they are going to invest so much money again so soon. They need a return on their investment first. Also, I would like to see these amusement parks (well mainly the fans) slow down on this RMC craze. They have built only ONE roller coaster from the ground up and suddenly people are all over them. If I was the businessman behind Dollywood, I wouldn't so much as utter a phone call to RMC until the year 2015. That gives Outlaw Run a solid few years to see if it holds up as well over time, because if it doesn't then that would mean a loss on Dollywood for buying a roller coaster that can't last. If anything, they are adding a flat to the park for 2014, not a roller coaster. So if anything it would be smart to try to guess what kind of flat they are adding, because a new roller coaster is years away. If I was a betting man, I would think this new ride involves water somehow.
    Last edited by Antoine; 03-24-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    ThrillNetwork Moderator(Originally known as Nitro Luvr)
    2014 Coaster Draft Selection - Shambhala - Katun - Troy - Superman / la Atracción de Acero - Nefeskesen - Mammut - Air - Big Thunder Mountain
    Proud mem**r of the 400 club!!!!
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Magic Mountain, and Cedar Point | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Thunderhead, Mammut, and Prowler | Steel Roller Coaster: Hyper-Nitro, Giga-Intimidator 305, LIM/LSM- bluefire, Inverted-Katun, Floorless-Kraken, Flying-Manta

Maybe the blast is referring to blowing up Mystery Mine?

I agree with Antoine on this one. Too early for a coaster.
    All last year the conversation was for a new flat ride to replace Timber Tower. Now with the removal of Adventure Mountain, I predict a flat will be going in. I just always thought that they would put it where TT used to be.
    2014 Coaster Draft : El Toro (SFGA) , Bizarro (SFNE), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Nemesis (Alton Towers), Blue Fire Megacoaster (Europa Park), Black Mamba (Phantasialand), Twister (Grona Lund), Intimidator 305 (Kings Dominion) , Riddler's Revenge (SFMM), Cheetah Hunt (BGTampa)
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath

I think some of you may see the greater things that are possible after listening to Pete on In The Loop from back in December http://coastercrew.net/2012/12/season-4-episode-41/ I'm still dreaming big and hey Dolly wants us all to dream big. Just wanted to also say though it could definitely be a coaster and not yet be listed on RCDB, DW considers Wild Eagle a family attraction, and while Herschend may not have the same budget as say Cedar Fair the amount per park is at least the same if not much higher. Dollywood invested over $70 million into the park from 2004-2012 not including the Splash Country investments, how many Cedar Fair parks can say the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Maybe the blast is referring to blowing up Mystery Mine?
    hahaha

I'm thinking a freefall tower.
    ThrillNetwork Editor - Originally: CHILLERLC1
    2001 - 10 Years of ThrillNetwork - 2011
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

I just am really sold on this being a coaster maybe not a RMC but a coaster just the same. I noticed up on the hills behind Adventure Mountain there was some heavy machinery and some trees being cleared, not actively but very recently. If Dollywood was going to build another flat ride there are plenty of other spots such as Timber Towers spot, expanding the Country Fair area of the park, or if you want to get really out there beginning an expansion at the top where the railroad loops around. Adventure Mountain is in the coaster section of the park and sets up to allow a ride to load near the pathway and extend up into the woods behind the park.

Umm...do you really want to pull up a cost exchange? Cedar Fair pumps more money into Cedar Point than most of my analogies involving adult humor

I mean, from 2000 to 2008 Cedar Point got 80 million pumped into their park for 4 coasters alone. FOUR FREAKING COASTERS! That doesn't include the list of flats and other renovations that they have added into the park as well. So you are looking at most likely a good 100mil alone into one park. That is without water park additions and whatnot. And to further discourage the argument, Herschend has to focus on what, less than 5 parks (3, right?) total, and Cedar Fair has a list of 14 parks that they will keep track of with Knotts being their current Red-Headed step child of choice. And ontop of all this knowledge is the fact that Cedar Point isn't even the highest moneymaker for Cedar Fair, Canada's Wonderland is.

The hope that it will be a coaster is just that, a hope. They just added in a massive undertaking, and I will second what Antoine said earlier, the RMC want is beginning to go out of control. Dollywood won't install another coaster right after such an investment because it won't be a financially smart thing to do. Look for a massive Flat of some kind (S&S combo shot tower deal possibly).
    SpeedZone Staffer
    *2012 Draft 3rd Place!
    Creation List: Indecisive - Timber Wolf: The Hunt - Rewind - Omega - Forbidden Forest Ride - unknown
    Tutorials: Current: B&M Floorless/Sit-Down inverting
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Holiday World | Wooden Roller Coaster: Voyage | Steel Roller Coaster: Skyrocket

Well I can live with either a coaster or a shot tower. I just am curious why Dollywood would take a huge hit by tearing down a popular attraction that is only two years old and cost $5 million (Im not entirely sure of that number) and not build something that would be exceptional such as a coaster. Wild Eagle was very expensive, and if this is a coaster it would be to, but those expansions alone would keep the park highly competitive for the immediate future and would not require any further major expansion for 5 years at least

With the price of steel, after an expensive new steel coaster, I expect a flat after the steel coaster, then a woodie down the road.
    Expedition GeForce Helix Phoenix Colossos Flug der Damonen Ravine Flyer II Dragon Khan Afterburn RoarOSaurus
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Each park in my area has its own vibe but SFGADV is my proud home park and favorite. | Wooden Roller Coaster: El Toro, Phoenix | Steel Roller Coaster: NITRO, Bizarro SFNE, Kumba, Mindbender

In a plane, on a rollercoaster near a storm.
    The park map on the parks website also reads "Coming in 2014" for that area or something like that.

A press release when everything for 2013 was announced hinted at 2014 saying it would be a "new major family attraction" and will be "one-of-a-kind". It was also mentioned that it would be built on the former Adventure Mountain site.

So, truthfully, putting all of that together. I am thinking of a major, one-of-a-kind family dark ride. Of course, laser shooting will come into play I think (that's what the BLAST is). Of course it could be anything and this is all pure speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe R View Post
    Umm...do you really want to pull up a cost exchange? Cedar Fair pumps more money into Cedar Point than most of my analogies involving adult humor

I mean, from 2000 to 2008 Cedar Point got 80 million pumped into their park for 4 coasters alone. FOUR FREAKING COASTERS! That doesn't include the list of flats and other renovations that they have added into the park as well. So you are looking at most likely a good 100mil alone into one park. That is without water park additions and whatnot. And to further discourage the argument, Herschend has to focus on what, less than 5 parks (3, right?) total, and Cedar Fair has a list of 14 parks that they will keep track of with Knotts being their current Red-Headed step child of choice. And ontop of all this knowledge is the fact that Cedar Point isn't even the highest moneymaker for Cedar Fair, Canada's Wonderland is.

The hope that it will be a coaster is just that, a hope. They just added in a massive undertaking, and I will second what Antoine said earlier, the RMC want is beginning to go out of control. Dollywood won't install another coaster right after such an investment because it won't be a financially smart thing to do. Look for a massive Flat of some kind (S&S combo shot tower deal possibly).
    Joe, you bring up some pretty good points and I get where you are going. But, Cedar Point actually is the biggest money maker for the chain http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8XkaRHscjB...Picture+56.png . Of course, this is just strictly off revenue. Michigan's Adventure has the highest profit margin in the chain. Cedar Fair does a good job at planning out park capital and expenditures with about 10% of every years funds going into capital.
    Last edited by tornbretto; 03-25-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Dollywood may have cornered the overhyped media market. That's probably the best way to put it. They have that corner in the industry. Is there an industry award for that? Do they print those banners inhouse? I have all this proof its all eaten out of their hands :P

I don't think Silverwood gets that kind of reaction for what eventually became Spin Cycle for this year.
    Last edited by Leo C; 03-25-2013 at 12:14 AM.

Editor
    As a 2013 Dollywood Host I can't say as to what it is, But based on what we were told; Your NOT seeing the whole picture sorry but looks can be deceiving!
    The Adventure is coming! 2014 Coaster Draft picks
    Kingda Ka, Wild Eagle, ​Bahemath, The Kraken, FireChaser Express, Mavrick, Medusa, ​Full Throttle, Storm Runner, WildFire
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Dollywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: ThunderHead | Steel Roller Coaster: Wild Eagle

Hmmm I like the idea of a dark ride. If that is what they are planning I still would have preferred they take Blazing Fury out, but I'm kind of a hater when it comes to that ride because it injured my back when I rode it a year ago

In keeping with the dark ride discussion, I would suspect that the "Blast" could hint to a shooter / interactive dark ride. Sorta like the "Toy Story" Shooters at Disney. If so, then I would be curious about how they would theme it since that area has this National Park / Adventure Theme to it.
    2014 Coaster Draft : El Toro (SFGA) , Bizarro (SFNE), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Nemesis (Alton Towers), Blue Fire Megacoaster (Europa Park), Black Mamba (Phantasialand), Twister (Grona Lund), Intimidator 305 (Kings Dominion) , Riddler's Revenge (SFMM), Cheetah Hunt (BGTampa)
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Kennywood | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath

Premier rides is on the upswing and can deliver that LIM/LSM experience. I don't think it will be a roller coaster and I'm not going to go nuts over anything at the moment.

Hats for (Carousel)Horses Racer's Avatar
    I'm surprised no one brought up a coaster similar to Powder Keg.

That is, if this is a coaster...
    ThrillNetwork SpeedZone Editor and unofficial DB Editor
    Please stand with your feet flat on the... stand up.. no- why are you sitting??? STAND UP ON THE GEORGIA SCORCHER!!!
    2014 Coaster Draft: Leviathan, Banshee, Alpengeist, Aftershock, GoldStriker, DareDevilDive, GeorgiaScorcher, Tatsu, SheiKra
    Favorites: Amusement Park: Islands of Adventure | Wooden Roller Coaster: Thunderhead | Steel Roller Coaster: Goliath(SFOG)

Powderkeg was on my mind the whole time but it was two coasters brought together.

The only S&S coasters I expect nowadays are the 4Ds and the El Loco. A S&S drop tower would be great. Dollywood finds natural gas. It will be The Fracker. :P
    Last edited by Leo C; 03-25-2013 at 07:27 PM.

haha The Fracker awesome, I thought about Powder Keg at first but just didn't seem to make sense. I've heard a lot of people interested in Dollywood getting a launched coaster of some sort for a while now, since around 2009 I would say just going off conversations with people I see there. The dark ride concept is sounding better and better though it would really be something different for the park, and since they are removing the motion simulator ride (its had so many different names I can keep up anymore) an indoor family attraction would make a great fit

After reading this, this sounds like more than a flat ride.

"With the popularity of that area, we felt this is the perfect location of what has been designed. We know some people will be disappointed, but we think they will be pleased with the new project," Owens said.

"The new project will encompass that property and some more, extending in front of the water raft ride River Battle," Owens said.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/de...ws-in-2013-14/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DW2014.jpg 
Views:	954 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	20921
    Last edited by Coug; 04-05-2013 at 06:19 AM.

Seeing the area they will be using, and the fact that they are prepared for disappointment kind of helps the notion of this not being a coaster (or at least a MAJOR coaster like the previously thought RMC). The only two things that would work there (from the photo at least) would be either a water type ride (which I have NO clue what they have there flume or rapids wise) or a small launch coaster like Pony Express (whih would be a disappointment to most fans lol).

The Donkey Express hahaha. I have been on the two portable motocoasters: Motorcoaster at Darien Lake and its twin at Luna Park Screamzone. It's a launcher that could be enjoyed by the family. If it's not coming to Kentucky Kingdom yet I would like to see one elsewhere.

I'm not sure what else could take up that footprint other than a coaster. Could we be some elevated type of transport ride, like a gondola?

I'm all for a Mack terrain launcher. One is opening up at Liseberg next year.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast